Asian Pickled Cabbage | (Indian Style Spicy & Sour Pickle) | (V + K + GF)
Traditionally, Indian meals are not complete without pickles. This easy Asian pickled cabbage is a spicy, sour, crunchy, and addicting topping or side and adds a pop of flavor in any recipe. It's mildly acidic and bursting with flavors.
- 50 grams cabbage
- 25 grams carrot
- 15 grams bell pepper
- 6 grams black mustard seeds raai
- 2.5 grams fennel seeds
- 1 gram ground turmeric
- 2 grams ground red chili
- 5 grams salt
- 0.3 grams asafoetida
- 12 grams mustard oil
- 15 ml lemon juice
Gather the ingredients.
First of all, add mustard and fennel seeds to a blender jar and make a semi-coarse powder.
Thinly slice cabbage, bell pepper, and carrot using a large, sharp knife and then transfer the veggies to a mixing bowl.
Add rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
Transfer the mix to a glass jar. Ensure to pack tightly. Set the jar in the sun for three to four hours.
- Caution: Always use clean hands and utensils for making the pickles. As a result, pickles will last long.
- Utensils: Because of the corrosive nature of some ingredients always use glassware or ceramic containers for pickling, not the metal containers.
- Substitutions: You can replace mustard oil with olive oil.
- Can I add other vegetables to this pickle: Yes, you can add different vegetables such as sliced onions, shallots, or small cauliflower florets.
- How to serve this pickle: You can serve this healthy, delicious, and crunchy pickled cabbage as a salad or as a side to your and family’s favorite meals. You can add it to: sandwiches, chicken, meat, fish, burgers, tacos, chapatis, rice, and so on.
- Is this pickle shelf-stable: If you refrigerate it in a jar with a lid, it will last upto two weeks.
- Can I add my favorite spices to the pickle: Yes. You can add garlic, ginger, black pepper, and fenugreek seeds to it.